Hi, my name is Cameron, I am 26 and have been a huge racing fan for years. All started the year Don Cossack won the Cheltenham Gold Cup, sent my dad into Corals before school to put £5 on Cue Card for me. Still think he’d have got there if he stayed on his feet. Basically after that I got the bug for racing.
I go to Cheltenham every year, was an annual member last year doing 3 days at the festival and all the other meetings. Tipped the first 5 winners on the Saturday of the November meeting and had 5 winners on the Tuesday of the festival. I also go to the Aintree Grand National meeting every year (the best weekend of the year without fail).
Liverpool is the best city in the UK. Also helps when you are balls deep on Corach Rambler at 30/1 antepost ahaha. I also did Punchestown last year and if anyone is thinking about going I would 100% recommend it. Banging few days of racing and class nights out in Naas and Dublin after.
My Top 5 Horse of All Time / Memories:
Probably going to be a bit of a theme here but I have merged top horses with memories because there is nothing better than winning on a horse you love.
- Apples Jade – My first trip to Cheltenham and my first winner in the flesh when she bolted up in the mares hurdle beating Vroum Vroum Mag and Limini. 16 years old shaking because I had £25 on her at 9/2 ahaha. Went on to be an absolute rocket and loved her always so gutsy.
- Tiger Roll – I was fortunate enough to be at the Grand National meeting for both of his wins. Second year I might have been slightly tipsy but was convinced he had another circuit on the run in, god did he do it easy. What a horse, what a career. Jack Kennedy not letting him get his head in front in his final race in the Cross Country still kills me.
- Frodon – If this horse is not in everyone’s list then you aren’t a real racing fan. That win in the Ryanair years ago will always be memorable for me. I would not shut up about him all day. Half the lads backed him just so I would shut up. Jumping up and down on the finish line as Bryony pulled clear. A horse I have backed religiously and always runs through walls for Bryony.
- Corach Rambler – This horse gave me probably my best moment at a racecourse winning the Grand National this year. Stood on the hill with a group of 18 pals. All of us on him. Couldn’t even see him until 3 out and then he comes flying. If I can find the video of us all going mad you would think we were part of the syndicate that own him.
- Seddon – Sat on the sofa with my mate the night before the Thursday of the festival convinced I’d found a gem in the plate at 25/1. Could not talk myself out of him. Won as easy as you like then goes and wins again at Punchestown for me and all the lads. Weekend paid for and plenty of Rockshore lager drank on his behalf.
Horses To Note
- El Fabiolo – I cannot wait to see him bolt up in the Champion Chase. That Arkle win was flawless, beating some quality horses.
- Marine Nationale – I pray we get the Facile Vega rematch over fences.
- Kittys Light – In the Grand National. Very almost makes the top 5. Another horse that gives it everything. Hopefully pick up some nice handicap pots on the way.
- JPR One – Tizzards secret rocket. Won beautifully on chase debut. Think he’s deffo got a nice win in him this season and will probably be at a good price.